Author Topic: DRY EYES THYROID CONDITION BEFORE MACS FACE LIFT AM I OKAY?  (Read 1067 times)

Dr. Donn Hickman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Aesthetically You Plastic Surgery Centre
DRY EYES THYROID CONDITION BEFORE MACS FACE LIFT AM I OKAY?
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
 Q: Do I need to see my eye doctor first, just to make sure?

A: Dry Eye, Hypothyroid, and Eyelid/MACS Surgery
If you are satisfied that your eye symptoms are well controlled on your current medication, and your thyroid condition is also at a steady state, with a recent thyroid study, and no current eye redness, the surgeon, can, with the working knowledge of tips and traps of eyelid surgery in such patients, you can proceed.  If you are having difficulties with your eyes and thyroid, or have any problems that you are uncertain of, then its best to have these checked out prior to operation.   Since we have the occasion to see patients with eye symptoms that at first glance appear to be due to excess skin, we often obtain thyroid studies or request an eye exam when we are suspicious about thyroid and other disorders.  Hyperthyroidism can be missed by internists when treating hypertension, and the patient constantly complains about eye tearing, or problems with balance and cognition.  Dry eye can be missed as well as some patients  come to the office complaining of tearing, when the tearing is actually  (reactive)  to dry non-lubricated eyes or can be a manifestation of overactive or underactive thyroid disease.   A simple call as stated above, the office of the eye doctor, can allay many of these concerns.  Our best protection against surgically-created dry eyes as experienced plastic and opthalmic surgeons, is to avoid removing too much skin, and identifying weak support to the lower lids well in advance.   If you have dry mouth, and any arthritic symptoms, this too should be investigated.    Best wishes.  Often, in these forums, we understand the experienced eye surgeons having taken your history and having done an examination, will make the proper adjustments to your operation, to avoid issues later.

Tweet